Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Whimsical Wanderings...

  • I love travelling!
  • I love backpacking!
  • I love the spontaneity that travelling in South America entails!
  • I love being able to simply do things on a whim, and having them work out beautifully!
  • Yesterday I actually made a plan for the first time, since arriving in Brazil 6 weeks ago - and that was to fly to Bogota, the capital of Colombia.
  • To date, my trip has seen me calmly and happily riding waves from adventure to adventure.
  • A brief summary:
  • I landed in Sao Paulo originally, and decided immediately that I needed to be OUT of big cities, and near the beach rather. At breakfast, 10 minutes after arriving, I met a guy at the hostel who was heading to a gorgeous beach town, Paraty. Within minutes, we were going together!
  • After a few days in Paraty, the people working at the hostel recommended an idyllic island not far away, so me and a couple that I'd met took a bus and then a ferry to paradise, also known as Isla Grande.
  • Next, a group of 5 of us decided that since we were so close to Rio, it was time to head there next... and so we did.
  • After a CRAZY (excellent!) week in Rio, I thought to go to Bolivia next. But on the way, there is the Pantanal, the largest flooplain on earth, known for its abundant wildlife, birds, plants. So I went into the Pantanal instead.
  • There, I met a Canadian guy who was taking a boat up the Amazon for 4 days. Normally, I would never have considered such a plan, as a woman travelling on my own, taking a boat alone for 4 days is not really advisable. But here was a brilliant opportunity at a once-in-a-lifetime adventure! So off we went!
  • Once we arrived in Manaus, I met up again with a surfer from California and a Brazilian who owns a campsite at the Brazilian-Venezuelan border (we'd met at the Port, they were on a different boat). These 2 were taking a road-trip through the Amazon, through an indigenous reserve, and across the Equator to get to the Northern Hemisphere... so off I went! This adventure was epic: we slept in hammocks, in tents, under the stars, in the mountains, in the Amazon.
  • Now I'm back in Manaus, and on my way to the airport. I'm SO EXCITED to get to Colombia!!! I've heard it's AMAZING - the people, the culture, the energy, the nightlife...
  • So there you have it! Never plan too much. Life falls into place so beautifully when you don't. Let that be the Thought For The Day! :)

Until next time from Colombia - love and kisses to you all! xxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Cool.. I was kinda carefree when I was over there... although not as adventurous as you!! LOL my adventures consisted of being bored of this beack and then heading to the next one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! U incredibly fortunate being! Living what we'd all love to be doing! I agree about the planning thing! Hava awesome time in Colombia!xxx

    ReplyDelete