Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More than just a beautiful beach

I just had a lovely, lovely weekend, and it didn’t involve me going to the beach at all!

I usually come home exhausted on Friday evenings. After a week at work, all I want is to be in SILENCE. To not have to talk, or think, or be aware in any way. Hubby and I have always had a great understanding – we are not attached at the hip. We do our own thing, follow our own plans, and can happily go out without each other and still *gasp* have a good time! ;-)

So last Friday, D had plans to go out with his friends. PERFECT. I relish nights on my own. I love cooking dinner for myself, while I futz around online without feeling guilty for ignoring my man, I love sipping on a glass of cold wine while I watch period pieces and musicals and silly romantic comedies (all the movies I could never put D through in good conscience), and I love just BEING.

Then to fall asleep and be woken by my slightly drunken, freshly showered (D always showers before bed, no matter how drunk he is when he gets home), incredibly loving and oh-so-sweet hubby crawling into bed and cuddling… NIIIIICE.

Then all of Saturday, D was teaching kite-boarding on the beach, and I had promised myself that I would hit my studies. I tried. I swear I did. I did some, but not nearly enough to even mention. But I had another great day to myself! I made myself a supremely delicious frittata, had an hour-and-a-half Skype call with my 2 best girls in Taiwan, where we laughed and bonded and chatted and pretended we were all in the same room (never mind the same country!), watched another movie, caught up on another girlfriend in London’s blog (scandalous yet wonderful!), and just enjoyed the sunshine falling on my lush tropical garden from the comfort of my living room. HEAVEN!

That morning I had woken up craving a seafood extravaganza. And what better night for it than Saturday! Before I knew it, I had rounded up 12 friends to head out to the wet market for a veritable feast! I LOVE the wet market. It’s the cheapest and freshest seafood on the island, and you can really treat yourself like a queen! You choose your food while it's still alive, buying it by weight, and then take it to any of the numerous eateries dotted immediately around the live food display, and choose how you would like it prepared. We ended up with a table brimming and overflowing with goodies! Coconut curry crab, ginger and garlic clam soup, baked oysters, peri-peri prawns, garlic butter prawns, baked cheese and garlic scallops, sweet and sour grilled fish… Ah! My mouth waters just at the memory! The night was crowned by some dancing at my favourite beach bar – toes in the sand, waves breaking just metres away, rain falling all around, wind blowing… magic.

Good friends + good food = HAPPINESS


On Sunday again I debated going to lie on the beach and get some sun, but opted instead for a lunch with my girl Anny, who’s awesome. Ice-cold beers, Japanese food, on a balcony overlooking the sea. Good, honest, positive conversation, lots of laughs, tremendous tales… too good!

And just to top of this perfect foodie weekend, my husband and my lovely friend Anna tag-teamed on a home-made tuna and salmon sushi dinner on Sunday night that was simply wonderful.

Good food, good friends. It takes so little to make me happy, really. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I better see a post on here in the near future talking about the mind-bendingly-amazing Skype conversation you had with your long (not so) lost friend over in North America.

    Yup. I'm bringing the Jewish guilt to the HURRICANE.

    ReplyDelete