Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Valentine's Surprise

This past week, D and I shared our first Valentine's Day together as a married couple. We had discussed it briefly the day before, and had decided that - as we had always done previously - we would simply ignore the made-up, fake holiday and celebrate our love whenever WE chose to, and decided to, and were inspired to. We made loose plans to go out for a nice fancy meal later in the week, and left it at that.

Mid-morning on Monday, D texts me at work, telling me he's going out grocery shopping, what wine should he get for the house? I respond by saying "Hey! Let's go shopping together later instead!" (It's this weird thing I have - I really love the ordinary-ness, the domesticity, the coupley-ness, of shopping together for the basics for our home. There's something about it that just makes me happy, in a very old-fashioned housewife kind of way.)

Anyway, my husband texts me back with: "You can't meet me because I'm shopping for the surprise dinner I'm making for you tonight." !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaawwww!!! SO CUTE! So we decide that I would get the drinks, and he would do the food. I settle on a delicious Argentine Malbec wine, as D doesn't really like white wine, and although it's a little pricey, it IS a special occassion. (Someone mentioned Malbec on FaceBook last week, and it reminded me of my days in Buenos Aires, where we drank at least a bottle of that - or some other delicious red wine - daily. I'd been craving some good, robust red wine.) I also bought some French champagne - nothing too lavish, but bubbles are a veritable MUST at any celebration, and this was DEFINITELY a celebration!

I came home to a table laden with candles, my FAVOURITE cheese (Cambozola - a super-creamy gorgonzola blended cheese), fresh wholewheat baguette, and delicious buttery salmon sashimi and sushi rolls.





My husband very proudly showed me that, upon closer inspection, it was clear to see that he had rolled all the sushi himself, and made it into the shape of a heart!





Not only was the meal DELICIOUS, but it was all so lovingly and carefully prepared, and THAT'S what made it so amazing. D had run around our tiny island where things are so hard to get, and sought out seaweed wrap, fresh salmon which he himself cleaned and cut and rolled and prepared, he bought all of my favourite things that he knew would make me happy ...! We topped dinner off with some yummy steaks, which went PERFECTLY with the juicy Malbec, to round off the evening beautifully.



As to what happened after THAT... Well, I know my husband would be the first to assure you that all of his hard work most certainly paid off... ;)

I hope that every day is a day filled with love for you all. xoxox

1 comment: