Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Weekend for the Record Books

I just had an UNBELIEVABLE weekend!!! AMAZING!!! The best one I’ve had in AGES! I woke up on Monday morning feeling INCREDIBLE!

Do you want to know what I did this weekend? AB-SO-LUTE-LY NOTHING. And it was blissful. Boracay is well known in the Philippines and – even beyond that – in much of South East Asia as THE party island. It is. There’s always something going on, always a bar pumping out music, always a drinks special to take advantage of, and as island-locals – it’s always someone’s birthday, or special event, or promotional party of some sort… In short, finding time to do NOTHING is a rare treat indeed.

This weekend I watched a ton of movies and series that I’ve been downloading over time, I slept a lot, I e-mailed a lot, I ate a lot of junk food… and that’s practically all I did.

Well – wait. We also tried to nurse a baby toko back to health. Tokay Gecko’s, known as Toko’s in the Philippines, are BEAUTIFUL. They grow to be about 30cm long, and are grey-blue in colour and have these bright orange spots on them. We have one that lives in our roof, and comes into the house in the evenings, hanging out on the wall eating the bugs swirling around the lights.
Tony the Toko, hanging out on our wall.

Anyway, we’ve grown quite fond of our Tony the Toko (as is clear by the fact that we've named him). We're slightly worried that he’s been eaten by one of the local cats as we haven’t seen him in about 2 weeks now. Anyway, Hubby rescued a tiny baby toko from the evil clutches of our neighbour’s cats on Friday, and we thought we’d look after him for a while, until he didn't seem so terribly traumatised by the event. He was so little – the size of my thumb! – and seemed to be blind, as his pupils didn’t dilate at all. We force-fed him some water, and I even caught a tiny moth which we put into his mouth for him, but he spat it out. By Sunday morning though, the little guy had died. We were so sad! RIP, little one!Tony up close. The colouring is quite remarkable!

And that was really the extent of my weekend. That was the most active thing we did. But it feels SO GOOD to have a weekend like that again. To not have to go anywhere, or do anything at all. To collapse on the couches in the lounge in a pizza-induced food coma and fall asleep to the latest James Bond film, to cook home-made pasta on a Sunday night and devour it together with my love while getting lost in Tim Burton’s “Alice in Wonderland”… THESE are the things that make me truly happy.

I think I may keep up this pattern in future. I feel FANTASTIC.

1 comment:

  1. YEEEEES!
    I know EXACTLY what you're saying!
    I'm SO with you on that!
    BIG love Honipie xxx

    ReplyDelete