Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Thailand Holiday Diaries: Day 2

(Monday, January 13th, 2014)

Sunset on Hat Railay West

Woke up this morning and threw some clothes on in the hope of catching the sunrise, but it was already starting to get light by the time I got outside, and there was a thick line of clouds on the horizon blocking the view of the sun. Still – a beautiful morning as I watched the day break over the mangrove trees. So quiet, hardly anyone about, only birds chirping and the sound of sweeping from the resort nearby. Walked through the back roads in the mountains to get to the other beach, and marveled at the colour of the water in the morning light. Just a handful of joggers were out, other than that I felt like I had the beach to myself. As I started walking I noticed a lot of trash littering the beach, so I did what my friend Louise and I used to do in Boracay when we’d go for walks, and found a plastic bag in which to gather all of the trash as I walked along. Feels good to do it – I know it’s a drop in the ocean, but it’s still something. Before long I had made a friend, who quietly joined me in my cleaning operations.

We walked along together, chatting intermittently. Pet is Thai, from the north of the country, and has been living in Railay for 6 years. He’s about a foot shorter than me, but the same age, with soft eyes and long curly hair and a moustache. He works for one of the rock climbing companies, running their boats that take people to nearby cliffs. Before that, he was an artist painting walls of a temple in Bangkok. He showed me some photos of himself on a huge scaffolding, painting a bizarre green devil, smiling proudly at his work. Then he asked me how old I was, drew something in the sand, and started counting numbers on the star shape in the sand in Thai, finally asking me if I wanted to know my future. “Sure,” I answered. According to Pet, I had a very difficult year last year, but the next 2 years will be much better and easier, and the 2 after that will be wonderful. Wouldn’t it be great if he turns out to be right?

Pet asked me if I wanted to meet for dinner later, but I said I didn’t want to make any plans for the next few days, which he really seemed to like. “Yeah, just take time to breath,” he smiled. We parted ways and I headed back to breakfast at my hotel.
I’ve decided not to check out after all. I slept well, as it’s so quiet at the back of the resort, and really – all I need this room for is sleeping and washing up. The shower and air-conditioner work fine, and with the money I save on accommodation I can splash out on fancy dinners and more beach-clothes! WIN!!! :) (As an aside - I found some awesome rainbow Ali Baba pants! UH-MAY-ZING!!!)

I spent the rest of the day on the beach, basically. Slathered the Factor 50 on my face, and the Factor 30 on my body, like all good, responsible 30+ year olds should - and I was good to go. I have 3 books on holiday with me, but it’s hard to read when there’s so much beauty all around me - it's distracting! Also, I can understand a lot more of what people are saying here than I can in Taiwan, so it's hard to filter it out like I do back home. Most people speak Russian or English, Hebrew, Spanish or French - basically, it all resonates. The only languages that really throw me are the Scandinavian ones, but they're quite hard to tune out too as they're pretty gruff on the ear. (Sorry, Scandinavian people.)

Watched the sun set slowly again, all golds and pinks on the turquoise water; treated myself to another beach barbeque further along the beach. (This time it was king prawns instead of Langoustines, and a giant salad. SOOOOOOOO GOOD!) It's interesting being back in the guise of Lone Backpacker again. I realized on my walk back to the hotel that night that I hadn't spoken to anyone all day except for Pet this morning. It's quite isolating, but also wonderfully liberating to be all alone on holiday. I do exactly as I please. I have hours for contemplation, and simple meditation. The biggest challenge for me is that I have to keep making myself stop planning. I try to plan my days, my meals. It's ridiculous, how the modern world trains you into constantly living in the future.

Plan for today: STOP PLANNING. Har har. I'm hilarious.

Hat Railay East, or Sunrise Beach

Hat Railay West, also known as The Sunset Beach

Just before sunset, Hat Railay West

4 comments:

  1. The urge to get on a plane and meander down that beach is almost overwhelming. If you see Pet again ask him how my year looks... *smile*
    Always enjoy reading your writing. Miss you. Love you.
    Jude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jude!!! THANK YOU!!! I would LOOOOOOOVE to meet you somewhere for an exotic beach holiday - just say the word. xxx
    Love you and miss you huge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. An exotic beach holiday..... my eyes just glazed over!

    Teeny tiny scorpion is amazing :)
    I will message you soon and do some catching up.

    Jude xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this is where it started..... remember!! *best*

    Jude xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete