Sunday, December 20, 2009

El Hippimundo :)

  • "The Hippy World"
  • Ever since I arrived in South America, I've heard the term in passing.
  • I believe (from what I can make out) that it refers to a specific brand of people on this continent - hippies, dreamers, philosophers, travelers...
  • There is an energy in South America, a call to people who have abandoned the status quo, the norm, the dictates of modern society... a call to explore, and interact, and LIVE.
  • There are many travelers here from within South America itself, who make their way through the continent by making things - music, jewelery, handicrafts. It's been absolutely amazing to meet these people, to be encircled by their warmth and openness, to learn from them and have my eyes and heart opened by the interactions.
  • In Cuzco, I had just returned from Machu Picchu. I was sitting by the fountains in the Plaza de Almas waiting for an Australian girl that I'd met in the hostel - we had plans to go for lunch together.
  • Not far from me, I saw a young rasta - long dreadlocks down to his knees - talking animatedly in Spanish to 2 girls. He gave off a vibe of such warmth, and joy, and fun.
  • In no time, he had come over to talk to me, and in my broken Spanish we chatted for a while about life and stuff. He invited me to come and see his band play later (he plays percussion - bongos and tribal drums), and then when my friend came, he immediately invited us to come with him and his 4 girl friends to a traditional Peruvian lunch.
  • These 5 lovely individuals took us to a restaurant outside of town, treated us to DELICIOUS local food - ceviche ("Peruvian sushi", as they described it), seafood, and the local purple corn drink... what a meal! What an experience! I smile even now, just thinking about it.
  • Then last night was my first night in Buenos Aires. Not knowing anyone here, I asked the guy working at the hostel for a good place to go for steak and wine. This IS Argentina, after all!
  • He told me where to go, and also told me that 2 blocks from the restaurant was a square where there are free live tango shows, and music, and people.
  • I went past the restaurant, saw people lined up waiting for a table, and thought I'd rather go to the square first.
  • Not 2 minutes after I sat down, I was deep in conversation (yes, again in Espanol!) with a 50-year old hippy from Peru.
  • He shared his bottle of wine with me, and regaled me with tales of the history of Peru, of Argentina, of astrology, and tarot, and life, and love.
  • After about 2 hours, more of his friends started joining us - more free spirits, open and warm and "tranquilo". Some came with little children - toddlers running around laughing anjd giggling. We drank wine, we laughed, we celebrated life...
  • What an evening! At about 1 a.m I got hungry, so I took myself for dinner. The restaurant was PACKED (even at this time), dinner was EVERYTHING you would imagine it to be - giant, juicy, delicious steak, with wonderful wine...
  • What a night!!!
  • Once again, in a very different way, I couldn't help but feel SO VERY FORTUNATE.
  • All of these "chance" encounters, with all of these fascinating individuals. I am learning, experiencing, living my dream.
La vida es hermosa. Siepmre.

4 comments:

  1. I read beautiful energy, energy, energy... of the best kind I know of... Earth's best energies are embracing you and you glow with it!!! WONDERFUL & BEAUTIFUL TO WITNESS & HEART-WARMING TO KNOW. Thanks for sharing girl! Dum Vivimus, Vivamus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome into the soul of the world...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-Conformist and unconventional...I love that way of life! I love the free-spirited, open-minded, positive-energy-flowing life u live! I live it through u, and your travels and blog....I could really do with some of this in my own life! So it tastes great :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this food sounds beautiful! Can't wait for the photos.

    ReplyDelete