Monday, December 14, 2009

I´m all alooowwwwwwwnnnn...

  • Back to being a solo traveller again.
  • I´ve forgotten what it feels like to be outside of the warm, comfortable embrace of friends, in a familiar environment, where everything is simple, and routine, and easy to navigate.
  • After my month in Colombia, with a group of friends that became like family, restaurants where I knew the menu off by heart, and a hostel that felt like home, being in Peru has been quite an adjustment.
  • I landed late at night in Lima, the capital, and was whisked off to my hostel in a taxi right away.
  • I was the ONLY PERSON IN THE HOSTEL! There was another guy when I checked in, but he left for a midnight flight a few hours after I arrived.
  • So anyway. I spent the next 2 days in Lima wandering around on my own. I forgot how exhilerating it can be to not have a CLUE. About anything.
  • Armed with a map provided by the hostel, directions on where the bus passes (there´s no actual Bus Stop, you just stand on the corner and flag it down), and my outstanding command of the Spanish language, I managed to explain to the ticket lady on the bus that I wanted her to tell me when to get off at the Historical Centre.
  • And she did. And I did. And it was wonderful. I didn´t see another tourist the whole time I was there, which made me feel very brave, and edgy, and adventurous.
  • Lima is quite charming. Peruvian people are very different from the 2 other nations I´ve been to thusfar, although the typical South American warmth and kindness continues to colour every interaction.
  • I also stumbled upon (in Moraflores - a more affluent suburb of Lima, on the Peruvian coast) a little park area dedicated to lovers! There was a massive statue overlooking the sea, of a couple in embrace, surrounded by low mosaic walls inlaid with Spanish quotes on love... so very romantic...
  • I love finding things by accident! Getting lost when you´re walking around a new, unfamiliar city is great fun. It always leads to wonder. I often get lost intentionally. BUT - I always keep a map with me for aftewards, as ultimatly, I DO want to find my way back again!
  • Now I´m in Cuzco, which is simply divine. What a quaint, charming little place indeed! But more on that next time.
Until then - muchos besitos de Perú!!! xxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment