Monday, October 12, 2009

Happiness is...

  • So here I am, in Ilha Grande, an island paradise a few hours away from Rio. It´s GLORIOUS. Lush, green, beautiful, wild, wonderful.
  • There are no vehicles on this island. Only boats, and people. And beaches, and mountains, and beautiful amazingness EVERYWHERE.
  • Today was the first day of sunshine since we arrived 4 days ago, but I have met some amazing people in the hostel I´m staying in, and it´s been good to just chill out and hang around indoors - reading, chatting, sleeping, chilling...
  • The travelers that come to South America seem to be a different breed: more mature, more grown-up, more well-travelled, more relaxed. There´s been a very communal atmosphere in all 3 hostels that I´ve stayed at in Brazil so far, and the one I´m in now feels like being in someone´s home! There are only 10 of us staying here, and the rainy weather has caused us to huddle up indoors in the communal area downstairs. We´ve been learning Portuguese together, cooking communal dinners, doing sudoku puzzles, having guitar sing-alongs, making caipirinhas together, hanging out. It´s been wonderful. I SO needed some down-time after Europe!
  • And then today... THE SUN CAME OUT TO PLAY!
  • We did a 3-hour hike up and down a mountain to the other side of the island, through lush, thick green vegetation to Lopez Mendez beach, apparently considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
  • And it IS. WOW WOW WOW. Powder-white sand, turquoise waters, green-green-green mountains all around. Just breathtaking.
  • I love it here. I love Brazil. I love South America. Life is SO SWEET. I feel blessed and grateful.

Love you all. xox

No comments:

Post a Comment