Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rio, eu te amo!

  • RIO IS AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!!
  • What a city! Natural beauty everywhere in the form of mountains and sea and forests, incredibly warm and friendly people, dance clubs with the energy of a carnival that go on all night until the sun comes up, cheap and delicious caipirinhas and food... and Christ the Redeemer overseeing the whole thing!
  • To be perfectly honest, I get a real kick out of the statue of Jesus. I can't explain it. It's obviously not a religious thing for me, but there's something quite magical about seeing the clouds part over the mountains to reveal the outstretched arms of a protective, benevolent figure. And at night it's lit up! So in the black sky, there's a bright white statue floating in the air, symbolising love. At least - that's how I interpret it. And it makes me happy.
  • I went on a favela tour yesterday, which was fascinating too. Felt perfectly safe, pefectly comfortable, and the sociologist in me absolutely loved fitting the information into the little book that's being written in my head... There's almost no petty crime in the favelas, as the drug lords that run them put the word out on the streets to avoid unnecessary police attention. In effect, it's safer to walk around in the biggest slum in Rio than it is on Copacabana Beach! Or maybe not. ;-)
  • Have I mentioned that I love Rio?
  • So far I have been to 2 dance clubs, both of which have been filled with young people dancing to all kinds of Brazilian and Latin music - and it's been AMAZING. Everyone here can dance! Really, really well! It's so much fun! People sing along to the music at the top of their lungs, laugh, play, make trains through the dance-floor, smile - it´s so much fun! The highlight so far: Being told that I dance like a Brazilian. Yeah baby!!!
  • I could continue gushing indefinitely about this wonderful city. It's truly deserving of all the hype. But I shan't - I have to go out dancing now!
Amor e beijos!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey SeXXXi! :-D Glad to hear you are happily kickin about! :-) Much love, xxx, CHRiST

    ReplyDelete